Search This Blog

Friday, April 16, 2010

'Roasted' Tomato Basil Soup



This is the first recipe I used my dehydrator for. A lovely friend of mine actually gave it to me because someone gave her a new one and she didn't need 2. How gorgeous is that.

Drinking a cold soup is a new concept to me and something I struggled with initially. I think its a mental thing, I'm used to soup and vegetables being warmed up. Having said that, it was delish and I would definately make it again. Simple to make too, just needed a bit of planning ahead with the dehydrator thats all.

6 roma tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 brown onion, chopped
1 clove of garlis
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon basil (I used fresh)
2 cups water
1/2 cup brazil nut milk (recipe below)
pinch salt and pepper

Dehydrate the tomatoes for 6 hours. You can soak the brazil nuts at the same time for the nut milk.

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Let sit for 1/2 hour. Drain. Dehydrate for a further 6 hours. Place tomatoes, onions, and water in the blender and puree. Add brazil nut milk and quickly blend. You can lightly heat the soup in your dehydrator.

Brazil Nut Milk

1 cup brazil nuts
4 cups water

Soak the nuts in water for 6 hours. Place in a blender and process until well blended. Strain through a muslin cloth or nut milk bag. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment